Comics and graphic novels are taking a leading role in driving the circulation of libraries, and students are reading them from pre-K through higher education, in every learning environment possible.
More today than ever before, readership and content accurately reflect society. Librarians everywhere are noticing how the size of their graphic literature collection directly affects the circulation of their entire collection. Pre-K through adult educators see that graphic novels engage students across the entire ability and interest spectrum.
It is time for the publishing industry to have its own Graphic Literature award.
Celebrating the Best in Fiction and Non-Fiction Graphic Novels
The EGL Awards recognize the phenomenal expansion of graphic literature across multiple industries. The creators and content of graphic literature are more diverse and eclectic than ever, and the format is experiencing tremendous growth in the book market.
Our Advisers and Judges – The Most Respected in the Industry
Our Advisory Board and Juries are composed of diverse, experienced and informed professionals that span the publishing, library, and education industries. These team members will select the best in graphic literature through a clearly defined and transparent process.
Now Accepting Submissions
Even as comics and graphic novels have become big business in other media such as gaming and movies, mainstream and independent publishing still feeds that creative pipeline.
We are aware of this symbiosis, which is why we are accepting submissions for any-and-all works published during the calendar year of 2017, regardless of publisher size. Individuals, creative teams, editors, agents, and publishers are all welcome to submit their books for consideration.
A Trophy Like No Other
The physical EGL award should be just as treasured as the winning of the award itself. To achieve this, we have been working with world-renowned sculptors Colin and Kristine Poole to create a trophy that will be a treasured reminder of this achievement, along with an associated medallion that can be used for book promotion following the award ceremonies.
Brought to life through the uniquely interdependent combination of words and pictures, graphic literature is a distinct narrative art form. It’s an art form that deserves to be celebrated. It’s time for the Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards.
Awards will be given to the best in graphic literature for the following categories:
- Children’s Fiction (Grade 5 & Under)
- Children’s Nonfiction (Grade 5 & Under)
- Middle Grade Fiction (Grades 6-8)
- Middle Grade Nonfiction (Grades 6-8)
- Young Adult Fiction (Grades 9-12)
- Young Adult Nonfiction (Grades 9-12)
- Adult Fiction
- Adult Nonfiction
- Mosaic Award – This award recognizes the ever-growing number of talented storytellers and rich content that come from our diverse communities, ethnicities, nationalities, faiths, genders, and orientations. The Mosaic Award is open to titles that span any age range. Qualification for this category is determined by the person submitting a title.
- Book of the Year– Winners of each of the above nine categories will be entered into competition for the Book of the Year. Book of the Year will represent the year’s very best in graphic literature.
For Next Time…
We hope this provided a solid introduction and overview of the awards program. We will be updating the website frequently, so check back often. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter pages. If you have more questions or would like to suggest a topic for us to cover, feel free to write them in the comments below, post them on our social channels, or send them to email@example.com.
In our next post we’ll explain why it’s so important right now to recognize and celebrate graphic literature excellence.
Be Well, Read More!