For Immediate Release: Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021
Contact: Chris Burley, c.burley [at] popcultureclassroom.org
- Annual Awards Honors the Best in Fiction and Nonfiction Graphic Novels
- Publishers and creators can submit their original, book-length graphic literature for consideration at https://popcultureclassroom.org/eglawards
- Finalists and winners will be honored starting in May and celebrated in June with the announcement of the 2021 winners for the Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards Book of the Year and Mosaic Awards.
(Denver, CO) — Pop Culture Classroom today opened its submissions process for the 2021 Excellence in Graphic Literature (EGL) Awards.
“The 2021 Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards spotlight the most compelling, diverse, and educationally valuable graphic literature works released in 2020,” said Adam Kullberg, Executive Director at Pop Culture Classroom, in a prepared statement.
“Right now, educators, parents, librarians, and others are struggling to keep students engaged and support learning. This year’s EGL Awards finalists and winners can help address those needs with exciting and diverse stories, art, and perspectives.”
Publishers and creators of book-length graphic literature can submit their original works for awards consideration online at [bit.ly or vanity shortcut to title submission form].
The EGL Awards were established to help:
- Educators and librarians identify high-quality graphic literature to use in diverse educational settings;
- Publishers highlight works that make a significant contribution to graphic literature and promote substantive pop culture education; and
- Parents, pop culture fans, and discerning readers of all ages find compelling, expertly crafted graphic literature to read and enjoy.
Pop Culture Classroom promotes each year’s EGL Awards winners and finalists to libraries, education groups, media, and the group’s community of tens of thousands of pop culture fans and educators, encouraging them to check out these quality titles.
The EGL Awards determine and highlight the best fiction and non-fiction graphic literature of 2020 in these four categories:
- Best in Children’s Graphic Literature
- Best in Middle-Grade Graphic Literature
- Best Young Adult Graphic Literature
- Best in Adult Graphic Literature
Separately, each submitted title also will be considered for:
- The EGL Awards Book of the Year Award
- The Mosaic Award: the nominated title that most effectively advances inclusivity, representation, and educational value in graphic literature.
Submissions for the Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards open Wednesday, February 17, 2021, and close Thursday, April 1, 2021.
Finalists and winners will be honored starting in May and celebrated in June with the announcement of the 2021 winners for the Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards Book of the Year and Mosaic Awards.
For more information about the awards, submission guidelines, and the winner selection process, please visit http://www.popcultureclassroom.org/eglawards.
Pop Culture Classroom is an education and community nonprofit that works to inspire a love of learning, increase literacy, celebrate diversity, and builds community through the tools of popular culture and the power of self-expression.