We’re really all just big kids here at Denver Comic Con HQ, so it’s our pleasure to celebrate Children’s Book Week, May 4th (Be With You!) through May 10th. Established in 1919, Children’s Book Week is the longest-running national literacy initiative in the country. Every year, commemorative events are held nationwide at schools, libraries, bookstores, homes – and DENVER COMIC CON!
Dig it—out of KidsComics.com’s “Top 25 All-Time Favorite Graphic Novels,” Denver Comic Con is bringing a whole bunch of kids’ favorites to this year’s event, including:
- Action Lab Entertainment, with their PRINCELESS trade paperback volume one.
- BOOM! Entertainment brings ADVENTURE TIME! Comics to life.
- Art Baltazar and DC Comics will be here to celebrate TINY TITANS: WELCOME TO THE TREEHOUSE.
- Tony Fleece will bring the sparkle with IDW’s MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC.
- Ted Naifeh brings the gloom with COURTNEY CRUMRIN: NIGHT THINGS from Oni Press
- And Zenescope partners up with The Discovery Channel for DINOSAURS & PREHISTORIC PREDATORS
We’re also serious about kids’ comics in our education efforts. Action Lab Entertainment’s PRINCELESS #1 will be included in our updated version of Pop Culture Classroom’s “Storytelling Through Comics” curriculum that will be offered to educators through our online store very soon. Action Lab Entertainment, home to comics like Princeless and Molly Danger, is a community partner of Pop Culture Classroom and Denver Comic Con.
We also encourage all the friends and fans of Denver Comic Con to buy local—our friends at Time Warp Comics and Games will have Children’s Book Week activities this week as well as offering a fantastic selection of age-appropriate comics. Check out their website at www.time-warp.com for details.
HOW FREAKING COOL IS CHILDREN’S BOOK WEEK! WHAT ELSE ‘YA GOT??
- BOOM! (KaBoom!) Studios is partnering up with the Cartoon Network on a Clarence miniseries that will make its official Debut at Denver Comic Con 2015, featuring the creative team with writer Liz Prince and artist Evan Palmer. Look for this DCC’15 exclusive at both the BOOM! Comics booth and the DCC’15 Merch booth.
- BOOM! Studios is also featuring a PEANUTS exclusive celebrating the comic’s 65th anniversary and upcoming animated movie from Blue Sky Studios and 20th Century Fox. Also available at the BOOM! Booth and our merch booth.
- Art Baltazar has created special art featuring his own creation, Tiny Titans and our new DCC mascot Captain Colorado that will be featured on a Con Poster, Souvenir Book Cover, T-Shirt and Con Convention Bag. The Tiny Titans T-Shirt is currently on pre-order at the PCC Online Store until May 15th.
- Other Kids’ Comics creative guests include Carey Pietsch, creator of Keepsakes and The Snapdragon Queen; John Sazaklis, who creates kids’ comics about Batman and Superman for DC Comics, and friend of Pop Culture Classroom Mike Kunkel, creator of the Eisner Award-winning Herobear and the Kid!
- We encourage all kids and parents to look out for these amazing guests and more in the PCC Kids Lab, which is running all weekend long at DCC’15. In addition to working alongside these amazing writers and artists, kids can visit the lab to create comic-themed crafts, learn how to apply professional Hollywood effects makeup, visit The Flash’s Forensics Lab, build Stark Tower and the Bridges of Gotham City, and much, much more.
Thanks for joining us to celebrate Children’s Book Week here at Denver Comic Con, and we’ll see you in just a few weeks for the show!