PopUP — Coming to Parker, Colorado July 31, 2021
Pop Culture Classroom to Host Family Fun Event at Parker Arts, Culture & Events Center
(Parker, CO) — Want to build a lightsaber, dance like a superhero, and learn to create your own comic? Pop Culture Classroom’s Summer PopUP is coming to Parker on Saturday, July 31 to offer local pop culture fans these and other family-oriented fun.
“Fans of comics, video games, cosplay, and other pop culture have really been missing the chance to connect, so we’re planning something special in Pop Culture Classroom’s Parker Summer PopUP,” said Tajshen Campbell, Ph.D., programming manager for Pop Culture Classroom, the Denver-based education and community group organizing July 31’s limited-ticket event.
“PopUp is going to be a fun and family-friendly way for local pop culture fans to come together to learn, create, and connect. Whether you’re a lifelong geek, young artist, teacher, or a total pop culture newbie, there’ll be something for everyone to enjoy at the Summer PopUP.”
Organizers say this one-day event will offer kids (ages 5+) and their families the chance to participate in more than 40 hours of fun activities, workshops, and live demonstration, including:
- Talks from artists, educators, and creators from across the pop culture spectrum
- Interactive STEM, art, and movement-based activities for kids
- Live games, raffles, and giveaways for attendees
- Costumes and cosplay
- And so much more!
Pop Culture Classroom will release a full schedule and list of activities July 19th. The organization is finalizing covid protocols and will move forward in accordance with best available public health guidance. Prices range from FREE for kids 10 and younger to $50 for a four-pass family ticket packet.
The news of the PopUP event in Parker is the latest in a series of announcements from Pop Culture Classroom.
- Earlier in this spring, the group released “History Erased: The Stonewall Riots,” a comic created by Arvada High School students with local artist Dylan Edwards and the latest issue in Pop Culture Classroom’s series of free history comics.
- The non-profit also unveiled its Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards finalists and nominees, with recommendations for educators, parents, and discerning readers of any age.
- And, earlier this week, tickets went on sale for FAN EXPO Denver: Special Edition( Oct. 29-31 at the Colorado Convention Center), with a portion of ticket sales from the massive event benefiting Pop Culture Classroom. Star Trek icon William Shatner and Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy) are the first announced guests for the event Halloween weekend.
“Pop Culture Classroom knows how awesome-ly inspirational and empowering it can be to learn and connect around the comics, film and tv, video games, and other pop culture stories we love,” said Campbell. “There’s something special that happens when we have a chance to nerd out together — and we can’t wait to get together July 31 and experience that magic again.”
Pop Culture Classroom is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to using the power of pop culture to promote literacy, a love of learning, creative self-expression, and inclusive communities. Learn more at PopCultureClassroom.org